Back to Mormon Quotes Index
“Abraham received concubines and they bore him children; and it was accounted unto him for righteousness...”
- Doctrine and Covenants, Section 132, verse 37
“Verily, thus saith the Lord... you have inquired of my hand to know and understand wherein I, the Lord justified my servants... David and Solomon... as touching the principle and doctrine of-having many wives and concubines – David's wives and concubines were given unto him of me...”
- Doctrine and Covenants, Section 132, verses 1, 39
“For behold, thus saith the Lord: This people begin to wax in iniquity; they understand not the scriptures, for they seek to excuse themselves in committing whoredoms, because of the things which were written concerning David, and Solomon his son.
“Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.”
- Book of Mormon, 1830 edition, p. 111, verses 23-24
Apostle Abraham H. Cannon ():
“Father [George Q. Cannon] now spoke of the unfortunate condition of the people at present in regard to marriage.... ‘I believe in concubinage, or some plan whereby men and women can live together under sacred ordinances and vows until they can be married.... such a condition would have to be kept secret, until the laws of our government change to permit the holy order of wedlock which God has revealed, which will undoubtedly occur at no distant day, in order to correct the social evil....'
- Pres. Snow. ‘I have no doubt but concubinage will yet be practiced in this church, but I had not thought of it in this connection. When the nations are troubled good women will come here for safety and blessing, and men will accept them as concubines.'
- Pres. Woodruff: ‘If men enter into some practice of this character to raise a righteous posterity, they will be justified in it...'”
- Daily Journal of Abraham H. Cannon
, April 5, 1894, v. 18, p. 70